John Van Cleve initiates movement to establish rural cemetery.
First organizational meeting of subscribers to new cemetery.
Ohio Legislature commissions the 'Woodland Cemetery Association of Dayton"
Cemetery opened and lots offered for sale. Cemetery dedicated on June 21. First interment in cemetery on July 9.
Work begun on sexton's house, roads, fences, etc.
Receiving vault built as an Egyptian style temple in the theme of Thebes and Karnak.
Cholera epidemic, 225 burials.
Plans for gateway, chapel, office. Stone fence for cemetery. First high school in Dayton. Courthouse at Third and Main finished.
Railroad comes to Dayton.
James Hanna family and others removed from an old burying ground at northeast corner of Third and Main.
Samuel Forrer, an engineer, makes survey of cemetery grounds and lays out roads.
Civil War (ended 1865). Dayton's population is 20,000 people.
First well sunk. A steam pump raised water to a reservoir on the summit.
Telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell.
New residence built for cemetery superintendent. Old house used for office and reception rooms.
Dunbar publishes first book of poetry, Oak & Ivy.
Boonshoft Museum of Discovery begins as Dayton Museum of Natural History.
Carriages permitted in Woodland on Easter Sunday.
Spanish-American War (April to August 1898).
Congressional Medal of Honor recepient for heroisn under fire, Charles Goodwin Bickman, is buried at Woodland, after having served with General George Pershing in the Phillipines during the war.
Pumping station built on Wyoming St. to pump water to summit.
Plans for gateway, office and chapel buildings, using stone from the cemetery fence.
First airplane flight by Wright Brothers.
Window for north wall of Chapel installed by Heinegke & Bowen of N.Y. (Tiffany Studios).
35 acres of land purchased from University of Dayton.
Tunnel built under Stewart Street to connect it to main cemetery.
Cemetery lot owners denied permission to drive automobiles inside cemetery.
Automobile hearses allowed in cemetery. Cars and trucks purchased for cemetery work.
Rules prepared for autos in cemetery. Kettering invented electric ignition for cars.
Shelter house and iron gates completed at Waldo Street.
Wilbur Wright interred at Woodland
Dayton flood. Fifty victims of flood interred during March.
Stone vaults, first used, purchased from Portsmouth Stone Co.
Dayton Daily News, owned by James M. Cox, produces largest single-day paper in world.
U.S. entered World War I (ended 1918).
Stock market crash, the Depression begins.
Wood box burials prohibited for adults.
U.S. entered World War II (ended 1945). World War II manpower shortage.
400 sheep 'employed' to keep grass 'mowed.'
Discontinued next year because of 'difficulty' in controlling natural grazing habits.
Korean War (ended 1953).
Pump house windows bricked and well filled, no longer used after City water available.
Kettering becomes a city.
Acreage south of Stewart Street opened for sale.
Vietnam War (ended in 1973).
Ground broken for mausoleum and crematory, completed in 1970.
First cremation in new crematory. First moon walk.
Bronze marker for Wright Brothers erected. 'Avenue of Flags' dedicated for all veterans.
Nation celebrates its 200th birthday; Woodland celebrates its 135th birthday.
The big blizzard.
Main office building, gates, and old chapel placed in National Register of Historic Places.
96-niche unit built at center of Lawn Crypt area with bronze "Soaring Spirit" feature statue placed above it.
Land exchanged between cemetery, State of Ohio (Mental Hospital grounds), and UD, adding seven acres of land bounded by Wilmington Avenue and east line of Dayton City Reservoir.
Lake drained to remove mud and debris and repair banks.
First computer purchased for cemetery. New uniform signage system designed and erected.
New park-like water stations installed.
Stewart Street underpass renovated and landscaped.
Woodland documentary video produced.
Woodland celebrates 150th birthday. $1.2 million building and renovation project completed.
Woodland Arboretum Foundation established. Woodland's history book written.
Inaugural Board of Trustees of Woodland Arboretum Foundation formed.
Cemetery roadways resurfaced.
Free audio tours offered by Arboretum Foundation, produced as a result of a grant from the Four Season's Garden Club. Still used today.
Woodland Mausoleum renovated; Victorian columbarium room and fountain added.
Woodland opens it's 360 lot 'Pine Ridge' Development in the Historic District.
Woodland completes a 100 year Master Plan for its undeveloped 50 acres of land.
"Heaven's Blossoms" childrens section dedicated.
Woodland places it's historic records at Wright State University Library's Special Collections and Archives for catalouging and preservation.
The Lookout Columbarium Plaza and 1800's replica tower are dedicated, including a 'Time Capsule' to be opened in 2041, the 300th anniversary of Woodland's founding in 1841.
The Lookout 'Terrace', consisting of 81 new ground burial lots, is dedicated as phase II of the Lookout Development
The 105 acres that comprised the 1912 borders of Woodland Cemetery is approved by the Department of the Interior as a 'Historic District' on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Woodland Arboretum Foundation repopulates with the planting of over 60 new hardwoods for its 'Adopt a Tree' program.
Lawn Crypt Development renovated and re-dedicated.
Flag Retirement Repository dedicated in Civil War Section.